Situated on Golspie Street, the former Hill’s Trust School was built in 1874 and designed by the architect James Thomson of Baird and Thomson.
Having lain vacant for a number of years, Elderpark Housing Association are now converting this B listed building into their own head office along with additional community space.
THI/CARS funding will aid in a comprehensive repair of the external fabric to conservation standards as well as reinstating some of the historic architectural detail. Works will include repair to the slate roof, leadwork, cast iron rainwater goods repair and replacement of sash and case windows, stone work, lime mortar pointing and chimney repairs. These improvements will help bring a significant historic building back into use and enhance the attractiveness of Golspie Street, one of Govan’s main thoroughfares.
Status: On Site
Estimated Cost: £2.7m
Timescale: Estimated Completion 2020
Funders: Govan Cross THI /CARS (Glasgow City Council, Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland), Elderpark Housing Association
Project Team: MAST Architects, Reid’s Associates QS, AECOM structural engineer, Scott Bennett Associates CDM/PD, CCG Scotland Ltd Contractor